Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Weekend

Insanity ensues in D.C.! I am sitting in Matt's apartment and there is a constant barrage of sirens and crowds of people swarming hotels and restaurants. There is an aura of excitement, but mostly it is just frustrating to do menial tasks.

I did not go to the swearing in of the new president. Matt and I had the opportunity to do so, but we did not feel it necessary to wait that long in the cold and brave the millions of people converging on the Mall. I stayed in all day and watched the ceremony on TV. It seemed to run pretty smoothly, but I was disappointed in the poor reception of President George W. Bush. I knew that it was likely, but I thought it was classless and he deserves better.

I went to the concert at the Lincoln Memorial on Sunday. It was exciting, but super crowded. Laur and I had to stand all the way near the Washington Monument. We heard about three acts perform, including Springsteen and Bon Jovi (yay Jersey!). After that, the crowds were getting huge, so Laur and I trecked back to the Hill. At that point, the Metro was still navigable, which is not the case today. Someone reported waiting three hours for a train in Virginia!

Last night, Matt and I went to the Texas State Society's Black Tie and Boots Ball at the Gaylord Hotel in Maryland. It is a huge hotel in the very new construction at the National Harbor. I would like to visit that area to see what types of restaurants and shops are there. It has great views of the harbor and of the skyline. The ball was a lot of fun! Bush and Cheney were rumored to attend, but they did not show. There were a lot of Congressmen and other VIPs including Denzel Washington, who made a short speech. The bands that played were great. It was a mix between rock and country. The food/drinks/company were fantastic. The pictures are displayed below. The jewelry that I wore was very generously loaned to me by Chris from his salons in Bridgewater and Warren!










No comments:

Post a Comment